Archers are the only type of ranged unit class you can have. They are extremely weak in melee and excel when shooting in greater numbers from elevated positions or into the back or side of enemies. They can be helpful against shielded enemies, killing them if they are engaged with your melee units. They can still push shielded enemies into the water, this works best when the enemies are still on their boats. However, they are very vulnerable to melee attacks and other ranged attacks of any kind. They choose their targets automatically, usually the closest units.
They can be upgraded to the levels 2 (12 coins) and 3 (20 coins) which greatly affects the archers' range, fire-rate and accuracy. It is important to note that archers are more accurate against groups of enemies as opposed to individual units, and are best used to weaken enemy waves instead of completely stopping them.
Archers' unique ability is Volley.
- Ranged, making them suitable for using behind allied melee units or attacking at a distance.
- Capable of attacking from elevated positions.
- Capable of unleashing a rain of arrowfire from any position when upgraded.
- Can weaken or destroy hordes of unshielded enemies before they even land on the island reducing the casualties of your melee units.
- Arrows instantly kill targets they hit, and damage Brutes.
- Pauses briefly to fire but can attack on the run (note that they do stop when firing).
- Can knock shielded enemies off their ship. This is most effective when firing at enemies from the side and least effective when firing from a higher elevation.
- Being on elevated position increases their range
- Shields block arrow attacks from the front or above, so shielded enemy soldiers can be highly invulnerable to them.
- Extremely vulnerable in melee.
- Vulnerable to ranged attacks.
- Accuracy is inconsistent and can results can vary wildly.
Jotunn Edition Edit
Archers are slightly more likely to target non-shielded troops and are more likely to target stunned troops. Most enemies (including those with shields) can be knocked off of ships, which is a buff to Archers.